....bout the dues youve been paying
Futures coming much too slow
And you wanna run but somehow you just keep on stayin'
Can't decide on which way to go
Yeah, yeah, yeah
I understand about indecision
But I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind.
Now youre climbin' to the top of the company ladder
Hope it doesnt take too long
Cantcha you see therell come a day when it won't matter
Come a day when you'll be gone
I understand about indecision
But I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind.
Take a look ahead, take a look ahead, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...
Now everybodys got advice they just keep on givin
Doesnt mean too much to me
Lots of people out to make-believe theyre livin
Cant decide who they should be.
I understand about indecision
But I dont care if I get behind
People li vin in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind.
Take a look ahead, take a look ahead. look ahead."
Boston - Peace of Mind
I remember the fire of idealism from my late teens. I thought I understood the world, or at least, I knew the world as it should be. Without even really grasping what the "rat race" was, I knew didn't like it. So I latched on to songs like this and went out into the world, intent on changing it. I guess I was in for a rude awakening.... but it never happened. I was never "shocked into reality" In fact, I proceeded to live my life like the song.
I had a decidedly middle-road GPA from high school (not even a B average) attended a local community college and eventually transferred to a CSU. I never went through the pain of being rejected from this school or that school. I took the SAT (twice, in fact) but I never stressed out about it. My score was considered good for the time... so-so by todays "standards."
In short, I am a foreigner to this GPA paranoid, college resume obsessed community that I work for.
A lot of people look back on their high school selves and think "Oh what a fool I was to believe in those things." I sort-of do... but really I'm surprised to the extent to which I still believe in those things.

2 comments:
I look back on those days fondly (mostly). I'm so glad I had no idea what it was really like in the college arena -- I think if I'd been told what it was (or what it was to become), I never would have thought I could make it. I would have spent most of my senior year fearing I couldn't do it, instead of thinking about what I was going to do next.
My story's very much the same. My HS GPA was 3.14 (pi!) and I went to a JC before transferring to a CSU. I only applied to one "big" school and it was a pipe dream to begin with. And you know what? Even without looking at the stress our clientele goes through, . . .
. . . I wouldn't have done it any differently. I wouldn't want it any other way.
Post a Comment