Friday, January 25, 2008

Here goes the e-mail to parents....

Dear Ms. 9th Grade Saxophonist.

You may have noticed the ease in which you "duped" me into letting you out of today's rehearsal by claiming that you left your instrument at home. Indeed, it was easy because I wanted to check your locker later and see if the instrument was indeed in there. It was. This means you got what was seemingly a free pass to finish whatever homework you failed to complete the night before. But see, in order for me to buy that old trick, you first have to be the kind of student that would take your instrument home to practice in the first place.

I'm sure you'll be surprised on Monday when you open your instrument locker to find your tenor saxophone missing. You'll be forced to come to me and explain how an instrument that wasn't supposed to be there was suddenly AWOL for real. When you tell me that you brought it in that morning, I'll ask you how that was possible when I removed said instrument from your music locker Friday afternoon.

I'll be sure to forward the information your poor decision to try to use my class as a study hall to your RSP teacher, your counselor and your guardians. You forget that we are already showing you a gracious amount of trust, not having thrown you out of the class last year for the whole iPod theft incident. You may want to ask yourself: When the IEP meetings come up, how many of your teachers are likely to contribute positive remarks about your participation in class? I might have been one of them, given the promising progress you made earlier this year... but now if asked, I'm going to have to say that you no longer qualify for the benefit-of-the-doubt, and that any claims you make that may be a deception on your part will have to be verified in full before I give them any consideration.

No comments: