Saturday, January 19, 2008

REAL Professional Development

Usually the word implies plastic doorstops... er, I mean binders, lanyards and hours of sitting in squeaky little folding chairs listening to someone drone on and on, ultimately building up to a conclusion that anyone with half a brain could deduce without first exploring the finer points of the Madeline Hunter lesson plan, or Krashen's Theory of Second Language Acquisition.

Let me tell you about the most effective professional development I've experienced in the last two years: Every Saturday I wake up bright and early for an independent youth orchestra that rehearses in my own classroom. On the way, I stop at the local IHOP for breakfast... a little weekly treat I give myself. I like to sit at the counter, which provides the added adventure of never knowing who you'll end up sitting next to.

For the last two months, I've been sitting down next to a slim, elderly chap. He's friendly, talkative... the kind of retired person who manages to keep busy doing pretty much the same thing that he used to do for full pay and benefits. His name is Alan.

My first time meeting Alan, it was apparent that he was an IHOP regular, like myself, although he must have had a different breakfast time seeing as how I had never met him before November. Everyone at the restaurant calls him "Alex"... which I imagined was a simple misunderstanding that Alan never bothered to correct.

But what makes Alan interesting to me is the fact that he's a former film composer who worked in Hollywood for decades. He also briefly taught classes about the music business at a local community college. Every time I talk to him, he relates fascinating stories stories about being in the studio, dealing with entertainment politics and putting up with impossible deadlines. At the same time he's also done quite a bit of "legitimate" performing and conducting. We discussed everything from ensemble set-up to score marking to hiring and firing performers. He's so engaging that often I show up late to the orchestra rehearsal.

So, for the price of steak and eggs, I get a hundred times the benefit of any workshop hosted by my school... and never is there mention of the terms "assessment" or "benchmark."

Today's conversation ended with him inviting me to bring my "axe" (instrument) and play with him at the *FANCY SCHMANCY* restaurant down by the coast, where he's scheduled to play with some friends. Unfortunately, I've got plans tonight with the wife, but it was a cool invitation nonetheless.

1 comment:

Ms Characterized said...

That is WAY awesome. So cool. I hope you take him up on the offer for Cafe Fancy Shmancy -- it sounds like fun!