Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Writing on the Wall

I'm always "Captain Last-Minute" when it comes to sending out reccomendations for colleges. This year was no exception. I think I can remember one time where I sent everything out before December (even the January deadlines). Phhhh

I was filling out a form for MIT when I found a small little package of joy and vindication:

How did this student achieve good grades in your class?

1) Consistent hard work
2) Grade conciousness
3) Good memory
4) Brilliance of mind
5) Other _______________

Now there's several things that tickle me about this question. First of all, they assume that the applicant has good grades. Of course they do... they're MIT for crying out loud. Practically has a "Slackers need not apply" sign splashed on the application. But secondly is the obvious awareness that there are many varieties of high-achieving students running in the wild:

1) Private Trueheart reporting for duty...SIR!
2) Whatever you got on your test... my score was higher! NYAH!
3) Memorize, regurgitate, lather, rinse, repeat!
4) This class will be an amusing trifle while I'm waiting for the results of my cancer research .
5) There is no grade that Daddy's money can't buy.
5) [optional] *** CYBERNETIC UNIT ONLINE***
5) [optional] Hail, Earthling!

I have been told for some years now that the universities are not so easily duped by an "impressive college resume" as some (the "independent" college counselors) would think. In fact, I think there is a growing trend for schools to recalculate grades (throwing out AP point boosts) and disregarding (somewhat) test scores and remues with four pages of extracurricular activities. It's a bit comforting that at the higher levels, there is a recognition that the world needs good community members more than it needs self-promoters. I wish more people in my environment were listening.

1 comment:

Q6 said...

They can't afford to anymore. Every applicant is now cut from the same cookie-cutter (two pages of extra-curriculars, SAT scores courtesy of the prep companies, community service projects since birth). They never get to the good stuff, and now they're paying for it (they're looking at discipline records now, in the aftermath of Virginia Tech). Now they have to look not at the student, but the quality of the school that spewed him out (and you KNOW that has Palpatine drooling). Remember when we were in high school? We'd never even heard of a 4.6 GPA . . .