Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Mixed Bag

Finals week.... meh.

Gave a final that I worked hard on, only to realize in the few seconds before I haded it out that it was crap. It was a formatting nightmare. And in the end, I think it annoyed the class more than it tested their knowledge. Actually, I don't feel too bad about it: It was something new and different, and at least I can rule out that particular format as being something that I can use.

***

Dr. Psych, with whom I had a nice chat today: I'm glad I got a chance to just hang with you... and again, I do apologize for mistaking you for a Sith apprentice at one time. Also, now that I know you're a comic book person... well, we'll just have to talk some more.

"Everyone in the Rebellion is here for a reason. Everyone was affected by the Empire in one way or another. Everyone has a story to tell. Most of them are tragic."
Wedge Antilles


***

I emerged from my classroom just as the elementary after-school program was letting out. It was 5 p.m. (sunset) and one of my students was wondering around looking for her boyfriend who was in basketball practice. I waved and she walked over to me to say "hi." I turned around when I saw her staring at something over my shoulder, and there on the edge of the roof was perched what we think was a peregrine falcon. We watched as it flew back and forth from the roof to a nearby tree. Occasionally it would land and briefly take on what looked like an anime martial arts stance in front of us, only to quickly flap away again. Of course, when I ran to get my camera, it decided to fly away. Still, it was awesome.

3 comments:

Q6 said...

I know what bird you're talking about--keep the camera handy. He took on two crows during an SAT test a few weeks back. I was glad it didn't distract any of the examinees, but I was glad it distracted me.

Anonymous said...

Maybe he's a she -- and she's nesting?

Maestro said...

"Maybe he's a she -- and she's nesting?"

That would make sense. Of course, my testosterone-laced logic would prefer that it was giving me it's best kung-fu stance.