Wednesday, April 9, 2008
O Captain, My Captain
There's nothing that threatens a bureaucracy more than a competent man. Take the example of Jeff, one of our assistant principals: Intelligent, hard working, conscientious... and probably the quality that endears him to the faculty more than anything else - he's honestly trying to do what's right for the school*.
...Oh yeah, he has to go....
So, it's been leaked that in next year's administrative shuffle, Jeff is going to be reassigned to another school. Those of us in the campus community who actually know about it aren't too happy. Unfortunately, It doesn't look as if there's anything anyone can do.
So Jeff...
We're really going to miss you. The marquee will never be the same. Nor will the morning announcements. But those are just the little things that made me laugh... your real worth is in being a person we can trust.**
I'm sorry for all the times I contributed to the list of things teachers do that make your life harder. You are a good man, and honest man. I hope *YOUR NEW SCHOOL* appreciates you as much as we do.
* Honestly, given the way a lot of people approach the job they should change the name from "Administration" to "Self Promotion and Preservation."
** And by "we" I mean the students, faculty and parents. Of course, this doesn't include the rest of the administrative crowd, who obviously consider you to be a liability. That's what happens when you actually try to help the people you're supposed to keep in the dark.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Amen.
I'm gonna hear a lot of this from parents and other teachers (and I've already heard the same from some students, surprisingly), but THIS blog post is the best, and most flattering, it's going to get, I expect.
I've followed your blog, with its occasional references to other job opportunities, with some interest. Try to learn from my example: loyalty to a school site (or a district) is a good thing, a great thing, but it's not always reciprocated. Don't pass on a good opportunity without thinking it through first.
I'm sorry that I won't be there to help your career along, or to be there to rely on--but while you're losing an assistant principal, you've gained a real friend. As have I. That will continue, regardless of the addresses on our business cards.
I'll miss a lot of people, but there are a few I'll have a difficult time getting along without--you're one of them. Bravo, Maestro.
Post a Comment