Monday, April 28, 2008

STAR Testing Slacker

Well here we are in our annual round of standardized tests. (Man, sometimes NCLB makes me want to jump for joy.)

I hate proctoring standardized tests. I don't mean to sound like I'm not a team player, but it never really ends up being a good experience. In theory I'm not supposed to be proctoring: Every teacher has been assigned to cover their own 2nd period class. I have a 2nd period prep. Even if they went by another period, my classes would be problematic, being that I have a variety of student levels in virtually all of my classes (as opposed to the homogeneous environments conducive to testing.) Also, My classroom isn't the best place for taking written tests. No desks (Music stands make crappy desks). But somehow they managed to assign me to a group of 7th graders culled from various PE classes and set me up in someone else's classroom.

My main issue with this arrangement I have a very delicate classroom management system that depends highly on my rapport with the class (natural charisma goes a long way.) If you stick me in a room with kids I don't know, that chemistry doesn't kick in. Yeah I know... if I had formal classroom management techniques it wouldn't be an issue.

But I do have some advantages this time around: 7th graders are a little easier to manage. Plus, once I get the test underway, I can pretty much do whatever I want. At the very least, it's a day off of teaching.

I know, I know.... "If you don't enjoy every day of teaching.... yadda yadda yadda." Of course, I'd rather teach than do anything else for a living. But anyone who doesn't wake up on a Monday wishing it were still Saturday is bullshitting you.

10 a.m. Update: Just moved a kid who was goofing off. Does it surprise you that it was the kid with a mohawk?

10:30 a.m. Update: Just used Amazon gift certificate to buy Iron Man movie action figures.

10:35 a.m. Update: Mostly quiet, starting to suppress a few of the squirmier ones (which still aren't nearly as bad as the 10th graders I got three years ago.)

11:00 a.m. Update: For some reason admin has banned the use of iPods (during the test I understand. Once everyone in the room is done, however, it would help with crowd control.) I wouldn't mind letting them talk softly if it weren't for the one kid who is taking the entire time to finnish the test.

11:15 a.m. How do 7th grade girls put up with 7th grade boys?

1 comment:

Joel said...

Wow. They are cracking down on us this year with TAKS and we have been told that we cannot read or use computers or cell phones during the testing process. We are to be alertly administering the test the entire time.

Enjoy your freedom while it lasts!