So yesterday, my friend and colleague (Susan) celebrated her birthday by inviting friends over to their (relatively) new house for a modest gathering. There was good food, drink and friendly conversation. One of the people I met was another high school music teacher who worked for a not-so-far-away school that is similar in a lot of ways to mine. Nice guy, young... not 30 yet I don't think. Maybe four years of teaching experience. We got to talking and it turns out we have some very similar philosophies.
One of them is the strange desire to expose our students to repertoire that, given our size, ability level and instrumentation, we probably shouldn't even attempt. But what we both immediately agree on is that the ONLY way our students will have a clue of the depth of repertoire out there is to throw them, occasionally, in the deep end. Yeah...
Well, what's more interesting is that this guy is leaving at the end of this year. He's going to Arizona to work on a graduate degree.
Now, given that his school and my school serve similar communities it't tempting to check this job out. From what I could gather about this guy's personality, I think I would be an excellent follow up.
The down side: I would be doing marching band (But not that intense. They keep their involvement at a really reasonable level) I would also be giving up choral and orchestral music, which I love so dearly now.
The up side: No evil bean-counting self-promoting micro-managing tyrant principal. Also, they pay more.
I can tell you right now, I'm probably not going to look into it too much. I know for a fact that I'm not quite ready to leave *MY SCHOOL* yet. Also, everyone knows Palpatine is getting ready to execute her grand finale and then exit stage left. One more year... yeah I can do one more year.
But man, I'm curious enough to want to interview. That would be dishonest, probably.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment