Today, the Empire High School Drama Department finishes its run on its music theater production. I have a love/hate relationship with music theater. On one hand, I like being a part of the show. It's fun, and I get to work with kids that I don't ordinarily see. On the other hand, music theater tends to be a major distraction where the students are concerned. It's no secret that drama students suffer grade reductions across the board while the show is in full swing, and expecting them to fulfill any other commitment that they may have attached themselves to is nearly impossible. (1)
This year, I was not a part of the production. Usually the shows call for two people to handle the music: one to train the cast, one to prepare and conduct the orchestra pit. I'm usually the latter. As far as the staff hierarchy goes, I'm the lowest man on the totem pole. I don't have a problem with that... it's not my show. I'll even bow to the demands of the musical director, who is usually a walk-on that the drama teacher hired.(2) This time, however, the musical director wanted to conduct the pit himself from the keyboard. While I was disappointed at being excluded from the show altogether, I was also happy to get about 100+ hours of my life back.
This year the show generated far more publicity than it ever has, due to its controversial nature. That pretty much ensured that the seats would sell out for every single performance. It also inspired the cast to be particularly motivated towards putting together their product. When I say "motivated" I mean they made it the single most important priority in their life.
Now, understand that I have a symbiotic relationship with the drama teacher, given the number of students that we share. I use the term "symbiotic" with reservation, given that we don't stand on quite equal terms... when one of the programs has to make a sacrifice for the sake of the other, its usually the music department that takes the hit. I am also very clear where the loyalties of the shared students lie: A lot of them would drop a music concert for a drama rehearsal without a second thought.
Part of the problem is that our current drama teacher (who has been here about five years) is far more prolific than any teacher in the last two decades. Where there used to be two major plays a year with a smattering of smaller rep shows, we now have at least three plays a year as well as rep shows, improv teams and various student-run productions. Obviously, that's not a "problem" for the drama program. In fact he's doing what he should be doing... expanding the breadth and depth of the student experience. And to be sure, this year's show was probably the most professional production I've yet seen out of our theater.
But I'm starting to think that the days of kids being able to commit to both programs may be over. The attendance at my advanced choir rehearsals for the last few weeks has been dismal. Furthermore, once the show is done... those same students who were out due to "fatigue" may miss even more rehearsals as they use the 0 period time to make up test, quizzes and homework in other classes.
Now, one might ask why I don't just put my foot down and demand that students either adhere to their committment to the music program -or- gracefull bow out and focus their entire being on the drama productions. The situation is a little more complicated than that:
I. The heaviest talent usually comes from the drama kids. Although it is not always the case, most of my heavy singers in the last ten years have been drama kids. Forcing them to opt out would mean a drop in the quality of our product. Now, one thing I have to say is that Drama has more to offer the seriously talented student: There's the flash of costumes and lights, and the fact that drama productions are far more liekly to sell out than... say... a Vivaldi concert. Drama is fun and exciting. Choir is... well you get to sing... like classical music and stuff... which is cool... if you're into that sort of thing. It's hard to compete for the attention of teenagers with a comparison like that.
II. While I have no problem with my advanced choir dropping from 40 kids to 20 kids (or less), I understand that administrative types (especially with the budget crunch) are less likely to keep a class on the books if they see a dramatic drop in enrollment. One thing I'm constantly worried about is the possibility that they will condense my two choirs into one, effectively mixing the beginning, intermediate and advanced levels. (3) That's what they did to my cross-town rival/colleague. My current administration would do it without a second thought if it ever occured to them to do so. After all, one of my defenses against doing marching band has been the simple fact that there is no room for it in my schedule.
In general I have to admit that I've always been somewhat envious of the community enthusiasm for drama and dance shows that my music concerts have never gained. But then, my performing arts colleagues are far better showmen, and more meticulous perfectionists than I. They worry about every little detail, from lighting to the quality of paper that the programs are printed on. I focus in on the music and... well everything else is sort of insignificant. Sometimes I wonder if that sends the message that my overall product is insignificant by comparison. I've thought about trying to find ways of upping the excitement level in my program. The only problem is, I'd have to do it across the board for all classes, and for one guy who's already trying to manage an all-anclusive 7-12 vocal/instrumental program, that may be more than I can handle.(4)
Now, there are some other elements to this issue as well -
* It's not just the music program that the drama students have a tendency to flake on... it's everything else. Classes.... jobs... relationships. I was comforted a little by a conversation with a colleague who assured me that the drama pumpkins have been prone to missing her (AP English) class as well. At least I'm in good company.
* I Must... I MUST remember that while I'm presently focused on the kids who have forsaken me for drama, there are many who haven't. Aside from the kids who seem to be able to handle the drama/music combo, I have students who have dropped other activities to be more involved with music.
1) That's not really fair of me to say. I have students who do the shows and never miss a day of class. They're just getting fewer and fewer.
2) Our drama teacher goes through musical directors like Henry VIII went through wives. He always finds some reason not to work with them again.
3) Which is the fastest way to get the talented kids to quit the program altogether.
4) And folks lets also not forget about the other little project I have coming up next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I hear what you're saying. It's always been my experience that arts programs in high schools always experience a certain number of "fat" years followed by a certain number of "lean" years, but it's a pretty reliable cycle. So it may be tough for a while, but you'll get it back.
Besides, you think the publicity did the guy a lot of good in the eyes of the district brass? Put it this way: ANY knight can be banished from the realm. :)
Post a Comment