I used to hate proctoring the state tests... hate it with a passion. These days I have been finding little blessings in them:
* While I inevitably get stuck with a classroom full of kids I don't know (mostly) I am at least fortunate enough to have been assigned to 7th graders, who are usually far more cooperative and obedient than your average surly sophomore. This year's class is pretty mellow.
* I used to cherish "assistant" duty, which was basically sitting in the testing center working on your own stuff unless they need you to go run an errand. Turns out that means giving a bathroom break to one of the proctors every... oh fifteen minutes or so.... or running extra pencils to classrooms, which happens a lot in the first day of testing. I think proctoring the test is less work.
* Once you get the test started, you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as it's quiet.
* Call me silly, I love reading the test instructions with my best "Game Show MC" voice. It cracks the kids up and they actually follow along better.
* I get to draw llama cartoons on the board for kids who don't ordinarily get to see them.
-UPDATE-
1:20 p.m. Just a little over an hour-and-a-half left for today's tests. Tomorrow the 7th graders only test until 10:30 a.m. - then they go home! All other grades test up until 3 p.m.
Nya nya nya nya
-UPDATE-
2:50 p.m. Not exactly the longest ten minuets of my life, but getting there. They've all been done for over an hour. The girl are okay... a little giggly. The boys are all trying to grab each other.
Oops - I was going to let them get a little comfy and mill around the room quietly - until someone threw a pencil. Now they're back in their seats and totally quiet. [insert evil laugh]

1 comment:
And the down time? What are you doing with the truckloads of down time the 7th graders have?
(There are some--and I concede they don't work with 7th graders as much as you do--who would resist this particular set of circumstances.)
Post a Comment