Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Late May Pot-Pourri

* Despite how crazy things are at school, I think I'm slowly regaining my work-zen-happy energy. This morning I realized that when I woke up, I didn't think about how it doesn't seem like 24hrs. since the last time my alarm went off.

* Another sign that I'm happy: I dread, rather than long for, the last day of school. This has less to do with the fact that I'm a potential workaholic at times, and more to do with the fact that every year I say goodbye to students that I've known for (sometimes) six years.

* Choir Mom is close to a break-down: Son has been relocated to another school because of a drug bust (He'll be able to return next year), and it sounds like the marriage is inching closer and closer to the abyss. The only good news is that she's kind of backed off since the announcement that my wife is expecting. I'm more worried about the family.

* Yesterday, Empire High School hosted it's annual "Outstanding Kid" Award Luncheon. Each teacher picks a kids who, while maybe not being the top-shelf academically, has shown exemplary quality through other admirable traits. I took Miss Katie from choir. She's a senior. Never my best singer, not even close. But she's been in choir every year since the 7th grade. She volunteers to help out at every concert. She always knows when something is bothering me, and she asks what she can do to make it better. At the luncheon, I noticed that her mother wasn't there (most other kids invited their parents). I asked "Where's your mom?" She said "She doesn't really show up to my stuff anymore. We haven't been getting along."

* Took kids to perform off-campus today for a big crowded room. They did well. We brought them back to school and ordered pizza for them. When they finally left, most of them said "Thanks Mr. M!" on their way out... and suddenly my mind flashed on what it will be like when my kid says "Thanks Daddy!" At least... I hope I get to hear that.... from time to time.

No comments: