Friday, May 29, 2009

Late May Pot-Pourri Pt. II

* There's a kid in band who plays clarinet. Kind of. He knows how to hold it. Kind of. I wrote him off as lazy months ago. Yesterday, I got a big envelope with a certificate in it: "In Recognition Of Outstanding Service To The Special Education Community" Also in the envelope was a nomination form filled out by Clarinet Kid: "I like Mr. Maestro. He's nice and really helpful." Boy do I feel like shit.

* I'm pretty sure I have a family of mice nesting in one of the practice rooms. Somewhere in the pile of old clothes that's been there for months. I'm going to have to clear that out real soon.

* Today my mostly-middle-school band played the school's last pep rally. They did okay, although they couldn't really compete with the drum line, nor the schools high profile dance team. Here's the victory that no one saw, though. At the beginning of the week when I said "Hey, we're playing the rally... I think we should play that arrangement of "Any Way You Want It." Immediately the kids started grumbling. I asked "What's wrong... I thought you guys liked that one?" Flute Girl raised her hand - "Umm... it's kind of cheesy, and we sound better at Charterpoint Overture." A bunch of people in the room chimed in with "Yeah". I gave them a funny look. "Guys, Charterpoint is a concert band piece. Don't you think the crowd will like AWYWI better? Flute girl stood her ground - "We sound better on Charterpoint." So today we played Charterpoint Overture. They rock.

* Drama Teacher told me today that the counselors did NOT offer drama classes to the 8th graders for next year. It's likely retaliation for the very public war he raged with Principal Palpatine, in which he gained the temporary upper-hand. I figured that if she was going to retaliate, that this would be how she did it.

* Today I got an award that I think was selected by a combination of students and faculty: Most Inspirational 'Staffulty'... A few are picked every month or so. We get a T-shirt. It was nice.

No comments: