Sunday, May 3, 2009

On The Bright Side

I think it's time I give a little attention to the people who bring me joy on a regular basis, and who remind me that Empire High is, despite it's frustrations, a great place to work, and why I decided that this would be the school that I would retire from.

Mr. All-Talented-Accompanist: You are an amazing musician. The quality of our vocal program would be greatly diminished without your input. You are patient, you are flexible, you are willing to bend over backwards to help students. We don't always agree... but there's no way I could do this without you.

Ms. Bubbly 7th-Grader 1 & Ms. Bubbly 7th-Grader 2: No matter how bad a day I think I'm about to have, you two always manage to get a smile out of me during 1st period. That always makes it better. I would be very sad if you did not return to choir next year.

Ms. 2nd Period TA: Every day you ask what you can do for me. Most days I don't have anything. You ask anyway... and when I say "I can't think of anything" you at least try to tidy up a little. You rock.

Mr. Not-So-Beginner Horn Player: Somehow we managed to infect you with a genuine desire to play your instrument well. You are a very bright kid with a driving curiosity and a natural likeability that makes you a pleasure to teach. You are starting to show a lot of loyalty... I dearly hope that I will continue to reward and encourage it appropriately.

Ms. Sparkly Trombone Player: I wanted something that would encourage a sense of fun and community in 3rd period band. You came up with "Pie Day." It was silly, but it worked. That's the kind of energy you bring to the room. You're worried about being the only "experienced" trombone player next year. I'd be far more worried If I didn't have you around.

Mr. Heir-To-The-Throne Drummer: You had big shoes to fill when our former Jedi-Master graduated and left our jazz group with a slight feeling of uncertainty. well... you didn't fill his shoes.... you brought in your own pair. There was not a single day that I ever said "Wow, I wish old JM was still here" (Well, I mean I did.... but just because I missed him... but not because... oh you know what I mean.) Talented, intuitive, loyal, committed. I have one hell of a letter of reccomendation waiting for you.

Mr. Sleepy Bass: Here's what I love about you - you are the drama club president and the stage manager for most of the shows. You probably work twice as hard as anyone in the cast. And while you haven't always been awake, I think you've always made an attempt to be a part of the 0 period rehearsals. I wish more people would follow your example.

The Teacher's Lounge Lizards: I doubt I could find a group of people as fun to work with as you. It used to be that I couldn't be lured out of my room during lunchtime. These days I don't want to miss out on whatever mayhem you guys whip up in the 40 minutes that we have to talk to people older than 18.

The Knights of the Union: Because no teacher should feel like they have to go through it alone.

The Asian Soprano Sisters: Only two three things are certain in life... death, taxes, and the fact that the first people to show up to 0 period will be the two of you. It makes me smile to hear your surprisingly-cheery-for-6:30-a.m. voices float through the door as you approach from the darkened parking lot.

Assistant Principal Tom: I'm sorry I called you the "Step-Jeff" at the beginning of the year (Being that you replaced our dearly loved and missed AP from last year). You endeared yourself to me by continually standing up to Principal Palpatine. (Albeit never on my behalf. Still... it's nice to know that someone up in the front office has the cajones to do it.)

Mr. Kingpin Trombone: You are the last of a generation of great trombone players, and one of the few genuinely motivated and intuitive musicians I've had the pleasure to work with. You were one of those students whose ability greatly surpassed that of most of the people in the group you participated in... and yet you continued to contribute without complaint. Alas, I wish I would have relied more on your leadership this year... I have such a bad habit of failing to utilize my student leaders to their potential.

Ms. Prodigy Saxophonist: I should be paying you for the privelege of giving you lessons. Playing duets with you is more than satisfying... it's therapeutic.

Ms. Wholesome Soprano: Why... WHY didn't you join our advanced choir sooner? You have an infectious good attitude and a sense of dedication that endears you to me more than you know. I think you are going to play a much bigger role in the group next year.

Ms. Principal Second Violinist: Had I known how awesome a kid you are, I would have hunted you down in your 7th grade year and forced you to sign up for orchestra. I love having you in the class... even if you are an incurable gum-chewer.

No comments: