Saturday, February 2, 2008

Warm Fuzzies

So... I work for this youth orchestra on the weekends, right? (I've said so many times). The organization actually breaks down into four different performing groups. For the last two years, I've traded off conducting the top level group. This year, they hired a hot-shot new conductor (Lets call him Brad... looks and talks kind of like a surfer) who pretty much took over the conducting for that orchestra, while the program director (Lets call him Robert) and I shared the middle orchestra.

Now, despite the slight sting on the ego, I didn't really say anything. Brad is really good, he's got a much firmer hand than either Robert or myself (but he's not a jerk about it), and he's got a string background which means that he knows how to talk technique with the sections that comprise 75% of the orchestra. It makes sense (plus, he's just flat out a really nice guy.... hard to hold a grudge there.) But I did miss conducting that group, as well as working on the top shelf repertoire.

Today, Brad and Robert decided that they wanted to take rehearsal time to listen to auditions of kids who wanted to enter in the concerto competition. (Usually, Robert sets it up for after the rehearsal, but apparently Brad couldn't stay). So.... that means both Brad and Robert were out and someone had to conduct the top group. The only other music staff besides myself (Lets call her Susan) was busy with the beginning group, which was rehearsing at the same time next door. That left me.

Of course, Robert set this up last week, but forgot to tell me. I found out this right as I got to the rehearsal (still smelling like pancakes and reflecting on the morning's talk with Alan). You'd think I would have jumped for joy, but I was more concerned about being able to lead a meaningful rehearsal without having studied the score. Plus, after having been moved to the lower group... I started questioning whether or not I'd be a good substitute.

So half way through the rehearsal,the orchestra went on break Brad and Robert set up auditions in a practice room. After 20 minutes they called all the kids back in. I got up on the podium and started to introduce myself to the new kids who didn't know me... and they started cheering for me. I didn't know what to say except "I missed you guys, too."

Yeah, that was awesome.

****

Speaking of the middle orchestra: At the beginning of the year I made a crack about "evil llamas".. and since then evil llamas have been a running joke with us. Every week I draw a new evil llama on the board... mostly movie related:

Darth Llama
Lord of the Llamas (One llama to rule them all)
Termillama (I'll be *BaAAAAck*)
Godzillama
Voldellama

Next week, I figure I may go classic hollywood, like Frankenllama or Llama from the Black Lagoon. Heeeyyyyyy... Dracullama!

But I'm going to run out of llama ideas soon. I'll take suggestions.... really.....

*****

Ihop Alan quote of the day:

It disturbs me that kids don't practice with metronomes. They don't understand time. You know, music should reflect life. Any if you think about it...the most important issue in life is time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agent Llama (the matrix)
Alienllama
BorgLlama
Hannibal Llecter
Llama the Hutt
Llama Luthor
Pinky and the Llama
Skellamator (He-Man)
Ursullama (Little Mermaid)