Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I have WHAT???

Shingles.

Yup.

Had what I thought was a scratch on my forehead that got infected. That's what the school nurse thought, too. Yesterday, she cleaned and dressed it. Today she thought it looked worse... so she sent me down to the walk-in clinic around the corner from the school. The doctor there took one look at it and said "Yup.... shingles." (1)

Couldn't have come at a worse time.... with a big concert around the corner and everything. Still, the overall situation could have been worse. From what I can gather, people don't take off work because of shingles, unless they find the pain unbearable. So far, my pain is not unbearable. In fact, I'm barely aware of any pain at all. The more I read up about this little gem, the more I think I'm getting off light. (2) I don't look that bad, and I can still function.

Okay, here's a little Shingles 101

For those of you not in the know, shingles is basically a reboot of the chicken pox virus that lays dormant in your body for decades, then pops up like an ex with an axe to grind. It actually hides out in the crevices of your nervous system until it's reactivated by something (usually a weakened immune system due to stress, disease or what not) Once reactivated, it travels back to the surface where it manifests in those blisters we all love. But the real fun in shingles is the way that it messes with the nerve clusters and sends false messages to the brain that get interpreted as pain. Searing, agonizing pain. There's no cure. If you've had chicken pox, you're a candidate for shingles. The good news is, like chicken pox, once you get it, the chances of a resurgence go way down. The other good news is that you aren't as much of an outcast from society with shingles as you are with chicken pox. Apparently I'm only kind-of contagious to people who a) haven't had chicken pox and b) have come into skin-on-skin contact with my open blisters (3)

Now, shingles is supposed to manifest on the torso. Mine settled in on my forehead, which sucks because anyone who looks at me immediately wonders what that scar-looking thing is. At the same time I'm very thankful that, unlike the poor folks I've seen pictures of on the web, I only have one crusted-over blister (that looks like someone hit me on the head with the edge of a clip board), one irritated red spot smack in the middle of my forehead (which may develop into another blister... I'm trying not to touch it) (4) and a few suspicious looking pimples.(5)

The only two major concerns: 1) Being on my head, there's a danger that it may spread into my eyes... which would be pretty nasty. 2) There's an obvious complication with my wife being pregnant.

The last part is particularly sticky. We called a bunch of different doctors (one of them being my Dad) and tried to get a bead on exactly how careful we have to be. I mean, "avoid contact" is kind of vague, and difficult in a one-bedroom apartment.

Anyway, other than being a little self-conscious as I walk across campus, I guess it isn't so bad. I don't feel sick, and other than a little itchiness, I'm getting by okay.


1) The doctor, who bears an unmistakable resemblance to Peter Brady and who radiates a charming mixture of aloof, condescending and mildly amused.

2) I should say "getting off light again." I once had a battle with cancer that turned out to be more of a disagreement.

3) Darn... usually I like to rub my open blisters up against people. No more of that, I suppose.


4) I'm thinking of promising the sacrifice of my first born child one of my seventh graders to whatever pagan gods in exchange for deliverance from this fate.

5) I'm sure you're all thrilled to hear descriptions of my epidermal blemishes in vivid detail.

1 comment:

Lani said...

Oh my goodness! I hope this clears up soon. I feel for you and your wife.