So, yesterday we have a committee for the California Distinguished Schools come and visit our campus. Apparently we have a shot at being an official "Distinguished School". When I was first hired at *MY SCHOOL* we had a principal who was into getting this kind of stuff for our school (CDS, Blue Ribbon, etc.) So here we are doing it again. Okay.... sure.
The process involved the committee walking around and looking at our campus, going into classes, sitting in on our pep rally (which our jazz band played at.....well). So ,when do they choose to visit my classes?) About 40 minutes after the assembly, I've got jazz kids still stashing equipment, I've got the AP theory kids lounging around finnishing (or pretending to) a workbook assignment. It generally didn't look like a structured class environment.
Luckily for me (oh and where was I?.... in my office on the internet.... heh) some of the kids jumped on the two committee members when they walked in the door and kept them occupied (talking about our program and generally pulling good PR out of their butts). I was able to get ou there finally and talk to them... and they didn't seem put off by the general chaos of the class.
But what made it all good was the fact that the rest of the committee came through (in groups of two and three) during my orchestra class.... right when we're working on Vivaldi's Winter. Right when *CONCERTMASTER* was burning through a violin solo so furiously that the rosin looked like smoke coming off of her strings. To boot, I had *MY ASSISTANT* working with the beginner string players in an adjacent room, thereby demonstrating a carefully planned environment that promotes diversified instruction.
Yeah, we rock.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment