Tomorrow is the big marching band meeting with myself, my department chair, counselors, the district music coordinator, the middle school principal, and Principal Palpatine. My department chair suggested that I ask the union rep to show up as well. She agreed. Palpatine doesn't know about that . . . yet.Let's back up about twelve hours to this morning's department meeting. What was supposed to be an hour and a half of talking about all sorts of cross-curricular planning and needs assessments turned into a very long discussion about my predicament. The verdict: the arts teachers have decided to put up a united front on my behalf with the department chair leading the way. The message: Palpatine does not have the right to dictate the purpose and direction of the arts programs. I've never seen so many people's fuses lit on my behalf. I almost teared up at several times. I had to duck out early because of my 0 period class, but before I left I looked at them and said, "Thank you all for not letting me go through this alone."
Oh, and you remember that bit that the union president told me? Well the drama teacher put it in another perspective:
"Anything that happens outside of school hours is extra curricular. Whether or not it's related to your subject, they can't make you do it. You have the right to refuse the stipend"
Whether or not that holds true, it sounds briliant.
But you know what was the best part about today? It was the sophmore trombone player in 3rd period. She came up to me today and asked "So... what.... are they really forcing us to do this?" I looked at her and said "I don't know.... we haven't had 'the big meeting' yet." She turned to go to her seat, but then she faced me again and said, "You know, Mr. Maestro.... I really don't want to do it, but if they're makingyou do it.... I'd go along with it. Just for you."
Dude.
That's loyalty you can't buy at any price

1 comment:
DUDE. I had no idea it was coming to this.
Give me a call and we'll make plans. Win or lose, you're going to need that beer.
Post a Comment