Friday, September 26, 2008

Perspective

I'll save you the details, because most of you have read too many of my rants, but depite my recent return to a happier state-of-being, I drove to school angry this morning. Angry at Principal Palpatine. Angry at football parents. Angry at the American culture that largely believes that music in schools is an extra-curricular activity at best, and one that should be a slave at the beck-and-call of every other entity on campus. I feel like I'm the only one who thinks that the music program should serve the needs of the music students first.

When I got to school this morning, this was the e-mail that was waiting for me.

It wasn't from Palpatine.

It was from one of last year's seniors.

Hey Mr. M... or is it * MY FIRST NAME* now that im all colleged an that sort....

ANYWAYS, how are things on the southern front. Alot has happened since we've had a heart to heart like the good ol days. Ive been in need of a mentor since my parents got divorced a week after graduation... I distracted myself over summer with working 7 days a week and once i stopped to come up to school and was moving in with only my mom... it really hit me. Well ive kinda been moving through this first month of school aimlessly, and decided i needed your words of wisdom back in my life. I never really got the opportunity to truly express my gratitude for all the support you gave me and how much i appreciated the confidence and chance to grow as a leader. You taught me it was ok to take risks and chances, then fail and pick myself up.

As i go through the first few weeks of college i've looked back at my time in high school and realized this. I don't really miss the people. i separated myself somewhat from them at the beginning of the year due to personal reasons, but i missed you and the lessons you thought me on a weekly basis, through your music. You used the music to express lessons of life that i will never forget and ones i hope to be able to use in the future. But now with out your influence and music in my life... i feel somewhat lost, i feel that i missing a mentor to impart his learnings and life experiences with me. So i hope you will stay in contact and keep me updated on the status of the department. If you ever need help or advice on anything you know where to find me. It often gets lonely here and listening to our music and remembering your stories is a good waste of time.
I broke down a little after reading this. I had no idea what he was going through. None. At the end of the year, his parents threw a graduation party for him, and you never would have suspected that there was trouble. Strangely enough, reading this was exactly what I needed... further justification for why am I who I am, and why I need to keep standing up for the things I believe in. Because there are more important things than worrying about football games.

I know so many unhappy people right now.... for various reasons. Reasons that make my own irritations seem laughably insignificant. I think the timing is right for me to be a beacon to help the people I care about to find their way.

2 comments:

Midwest Teacher said...

What a great email. I felt exactly like that about my band teacher from high school -- music is NOT just an extra curricular class. For some, it's survival!

Ms Characterized said...

Two things:

1) Thanks. And wonderful. And happiness.

2) You need to rent "Sneakers": "Be a beacon."