Monday, September 8, 2008

Updates

Regarding Kyle:

So I was in a bit of a fix: Do I go back to the counselors and have little Kyle's schedule changed back into what it was... or do I wait until Mom and Dad figure out exactly what it is they want. After all, it was an assumption on my part that lit their fuse. I figured that assuming they wanted his schedule back in it's original configuration might be dangerous as well.

Regardless, I sent an e-mail to the counselors, explaining the situation, and warning them that Kyle's mom was probably going to make an appearance. She didn't. They changed Kyle's schedule back anyway. I held my breath hoping it was the right thing to do.

Tonight I get an e-mail from Kyle's mom:

Mr. Maestro...

I hope you had a chance to return Kyle's classes to the original state. I never received a return call or email from Mr. Counselor regarding this matter. I am now quite concerned. My school web account still shows that he is listed in a different history class, and in choir. Now we don't know what to do. I also can not log into his regular history teachers class "blog" to see what is due, upcoming tests, etc...
I hope you are able to help us with this mess. Kyle will remain in your class...with four broken bones in his hand. He has not had a great Jr.High beginning...hope things get better for him!

Thanks, Kyle's Mom.
The funny thing is, when I saw Kyle in 3rd period today, he was totally cool. I apologized to him and he just smiled and said "It's no problem Mr. Maestro." Analysis: Kyle is a chill kid.... mom is one of "those" parents. Of course, since he's switched back into band he's going to have to try to learn to manipulate an instrument with only one hand. Trumpet might have been a possibility... had it been his left hand in the cast. Alas.

Regarding the War on Marching Band:

I met with the union president today. I didn't think it would help. I certainly didn't think it would hurt.

Yeah... just my luck .....


Confidently, I asked if I had any contractual obligation to start a marching band ala Principal Palpatine's wishes. Union president's response:

"If you're qualified to teach math, the district can tell you to teach any math class it needs you to teach. You don't really have a choice."

Fuck.

But the silver lining: It isn't solely up to Palpatine. The decision really rests in the hands of the school site council. *Sigh*

Time for me to do some politicin'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I support you!

And band isn't in the framework or standards, so it will be an uphill climb, no matter what that Jr. Fuckwit thinks.

Billie's Mummy said...

You have to feel for kids like Kyle, as teachers we have to deal with those parents when they make their (some what regular) appearances but the poor kid has to put up with them all the time. I bet Kylie could care less about it but good ol' parents need to be in control of everything.
And good luck with the whole marching band thing, seems a bit unfair to ask (make) you take it on.