Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tick . . . . Tick . . . . . . Tick . . . . .

So I've been told that little Billy in choir is one of the top problem autistic students in the entire district. The kid has not one... two aides that follow him around during the day. Two. Does that tell you something? Let's also take into account the flood of e-mails and special task force meeting announcements that have been cluttering my in-box regarding this kid. I should probably be scared.

The thing is... he hasn't been all that bad. I've had a lot of special needs students in my classes, and Billy is far from being the most disruptive. Oh sure he has his moments, but they pass pretty quickly. I really didn't see what all the fuss was about. Not until today.

Yup, the volcano finally blew. Fortunately, it wasn't during class. Choir had just ended, and all the kids had all shuffled out the door, including little Billy with aides in tow. A few minutes later I heard his voice in the hallway. He was screaming as if he'd just found out that his puppy was run over by a car. The aides were trying to get him moving to his next class, but he wasn't having any. Then he ran back in the choir room and pointed at the wall...

Hanging there was an architectural poster, showing a painting of a proposed auditorium they were planning to build at our school (but never got around to). Billy was fixed on it, screaming at the top of his lungs:

"IS THAT WHAT THE SCHOOL USED TO LOOK LIKE? WHY DID THEY CHANGE IT? WHYYYYYYYYY DID THEY CHANGE IT? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?"

Finally the aides dragged him off.

Wow.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before it hits a major populated area in my teaching schedule. But you know what? I'll deal with that when it happens.

No comments: