Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Two New Songs Today

Advanced Choir: "Lonesome Road" - James Taylor

The only pop song I've ever given this group...but it's a damn good one. Sad. Beautiful. I have a history with it... it reminds me of being a kid at summer camp. I remember the counselors singing it to us by moonlight. It had me tearing up... the rehearsal had me tearing up.

Awesome.

Concert Choir: "For Good" from Wicked

I ordered this one for my "2nd" choir, thinking that the fact that it's from "Wicked" will make it an instant hit with the class. It was. But I also forgot that two of my best singers from the class of 08 performed it at graduation. I instantly thought of them, and how I miss them. So there I was tearing up again for the second time in just a couple hours....

*Sigh*

...And to think my parents wanted to talk me out of being a music ed. major in favor of a more "substantial" career....

We learned enough of the song to let the kids try the solo. I discovered some pretty good singers who had been hiding in the class. One of them was a girl who seemed to blossom about six measures in. When she was done, I said "You know, Grace... the singer you turned into about half way through the solo... that's the singer I'd like to hear from the beginning." She looked at me and said "I'll try but... well... this is a really emotional song for me." She gave me a look that seemed to say "You're a grown-up, how can you possibly understand?" I tried to give her a smile back that said "I do, kid... more than you'll ever know."

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It's amazing that music can tug on our heartstrings like that!